MONTGOMERY PHILHARMONICDeeply Committed to Our COMMUNITY
Thanks for visiting the Montgomery Philharmonic’s website. We’re happy that you found us and we would love for you to come to our concerts.
- Our programming is adventurous and engaging. Those who attend our concerts always find something that they like and often discover new pieces that broaden their musical tastes.
- Our venue is intimate, so most people are able to sit close to the orchestra.
- Our concerts are free. We love providing this service to our community audiences and want you to experience the music with us.
- The orchestra is terrific and its mission is even better – to serve the community at a high level through great programming, community outreach for young and old alike, and a welcoming environment.
- Our website contains WebNotes—engaging information about each concert, connected to each concert date tab. Audience members tell us that they use them to read about the music, view it, and listen to it.
- The Montgomery Philharmonic is re-inventing the community orchestra not only for the musicians that we engage but also for the community that we serve. Our program includes great connections through the Bernie Rappaport Young Artist Competition for middle school students, the side-by-side concert with Montgomery Village Middle School students, the Youth Chamber Music Festival, and our Summer Reading Sessions.
- Members of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and National Symphony Orchestra serve as orchestra coaches for a series of Adult Education Master Classes that are open to the public.
Montgomery Philharmonic, Inc. is a community orchestra based in Gaithersburg, Maryland, dedicated to providing opportunities to enjoy, explore, and create music. As a teaching orchestra with education at the center of our mission, we provide an environment that promotes excellence for musicians of various levels to play orchestral music for themselves and for the community. Our goal is for the audience to experience classical music from great composers ranging from Bach to Webern and everything in between and to come together in the community to share a love of music in an exciting and welcoming environment.
SUMMER READING SESSIONS
The Montgomery Philharmonic, Inc. is excited to again offer FREE Summer Reading Sessions as part of its season. The reading sessions are open to musicians of all ages who are accomplished enough to play in a symphony orchestra and who have reasonable sight-reading skills.
Bernie Rappaport Middle School Young Artist Competition
Bernie Rappaport was a member of the Montgomery Philharmonic in the trumpet section. Dr. Rappaport was a Pediatric Dentist in Prince George’s County and loved playing the trumpet. Community music was important to him, as well as helping young people. When Bernie passed away in 2009, the Montgomery Philharmonic felt that it was important to pass along his love of music and children by holding a Young Musician’s Competition in his honor.
The Montgomery Philharmonic is pleased to offer a free orchestral masterclass with Andrew Balio, Principal Trumpet – Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. All instrumentalists are welcome to attend.
JOIN THE MONTGOMERY PHILHARMONIC
Auditions will be held at 6:30 p.m. (1/2 hour before rehearsals).
Gaithersburg Presbyterian Church
610 S. Frederick Avenue
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877
Sandra Ragusa, Music Director
Sandra Ragusa is a charismatic personality on the classical conducting scene. Coming from an extensive background both as a conductor and a flutist, she brings the spirit of a true performer to the stage.